Centre for Citizen Science (CCS)
Center for Citizen Science- CCS is Pune based voluntary organisation. Main objective of CCS is to promote Citizen Science in India and to solve various social, environmental issues with the help Science – Technology. CCS has been working as a bridge between society and research institutes and has initiated many research projects, science outreach programs where citizens and researchers are working together.
CCS, is working under guidance of working and retired scientists from various Institutes like- Inter University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCCA), National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Indian Meteorological Department (IMD), Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), National Centre for Cell Sciences (NCCS), National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Agharkar Research Institute (ARI), Indian Institute for Science Education and Research (IISER).
Some of the CCS ongoing projects:
- ‘Project Meghdoot’ is ambitious project with the thought to study the phenomenon of Monsoon across India.
- ‘Khagol Vishwa’ for astronomical studies and popularization.
- CSN- Citizen Science Network
- ‘Satark’ Landslide Alert system .
- Lonar – Study and Conservation Program.
- Project Sahyadri – Documenting Geo- Climate and Biodiversity of Western Ghats
- Light Pollution Monitoring
- Maharashtra Drought Monitoring Program.
- Nature 24, observing nature for monitoring seasonal changes.
- Study of fireflies in Western Ghats
- Hailstorm, Dust Storm, Thunderstorm monitoring.
- Basic Course on Citizen Science
Dr. Ranjan Kelkar (Senior Meteorologist, Former DG, IMD)
Dr. Vasant Shinde (Senior Archaeologist, VC, Deccan College)
Mr. Pradeep Rawat (Chairman – National Shipping Board, Science activist, ex MP of Pune)
Dr. Arvind Natu (Senior Scientist, IISER, Pune.)
Mr. Arvind Paranjpe (Senior Astronomy Expert, Director, Nehru Planetarium)
Dr. Arvind Ranade (Senior Scientist, Vigyan Prasar)
Dr. J. K. Solanki (Science Popularizer, Chief Admin Officer, NCRA)
President – Dr. Yogesh Shouche (Senior Microbiologist, MCC-NCCS)
Vice President – Dr. J. R. Kulkarni (Senior Meteorologist, Expert, WMO)
Secretary – Mayuresh Prabhune (Science Journalist)
Treasurer– Supriya Prabhune (Science Publisher)
Member- Dr. Prajakta Naik (Scientist, Chemistry)